[7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement

From: Keith Tyler (ktylerat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 12:28:05 PDT

    > Dear Customer,
    >
    > We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have
    received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet
    service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a
    complainant's members.  I have enclosed a copy of the complaint letter.
    Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"),
    which is codified at 17 U.S.C. § 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox
    is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the
    infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright
    infringement.  Accordingly, Cox will suspend your account and disable your
    connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if
    the offending material is not removed.

    > Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a
    subscriber accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of
    infringement and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to
    be reinstated.  To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria.
    Pursuant to section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. § 512(g)), you have the right
    to submit to Cox a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include
    the following elements:

    > (a)	a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber;
    > (b)	identification of the material that has been removed or to which
    access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared
    before it was removed or disabled;
    > (c)	a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good
    faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of
    mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled;
    > (d)	the subscriber's name, address, and telephone number and a statement
    that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District
    Court for the judicial district in which the address is located.

    > In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes
    these elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the
    complainant and advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the
    allegedly infringing material in ten (10) business days.  Unless the
    complainant notifies us that it has filed an action seeking a court order to
    restrain you from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity prior to the
    expiration of those ten (10) business days, Cox will reactivate your
    account.

    > Sincerely,
    >
    > The Cox Abuse Team

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    > Reference#: 517703
    >
    > Date of Infringement: 7/2/2002 4:08:38 AM GMT
    >

    > Dear abuseat_private:
    >
    > The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) represents the following
    m=
    > otion picture production and distribution companies:
    >
    > Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc.
    > Disney Enterprises, Inc.
    > Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
    > Paramount Pictures Corporation
    > TriStar Pictures, Inc.
    > Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
    > United Artists Pictures, Inc.
    > United Artists Corporation
    > Universal City Studios, Inc.
    > Warner Bros., a Division of Time Warner Entertainment Company, L.P.
    >
    > We have received information that an individual has utilized the above
    refe=
    > renced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of
    copyrigh=
    > ted motion picture(s) through a =E2=80=9Cpeer-to-peer=E2=80=9D service,
    inc=
    > luding such title(s) as:
    >
    > Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
    > Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back
    > Simpsons, The (TV)
    > Windtalkers
    >
    > The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures
    cons=
    > titutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United
    Sta=
    > tes Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other
    co=
    > untries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
    >
    > Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the
    follo=
    > wing:
    >
    > 1. Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct
    describe=
    > d above, and;
    > 2. Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse
    Poli=
    > cy/Terms of Service Agreement.
    >
    > On behalf of the respective owners of the exclusive rights to the
    copyright=
    > ed material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, pursuant to the
    Digit=