RE: [7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement

From: Vinnie Lima (vlimaat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 11:37:00 PDT

    "Funny, if you are getting
    DOSs'd or Spammed to hell, your ISP won't budge to fix it but, the MPAA
    sends one letter and they threaten to cut you (the customer) off."

    Isnt within the ISP's rights to require a SUBPOENA to do any intrusive
    action including, but not limited to, shutting off a user's service? Or has
    the new Digital Millenium Act supersedes that right?

    I couldnt agree more with your comment above.

    Vinnie L.

                        "Vachon,
                        Scott"               To:     vuln-devat_private
                        <Scott.Vachon        cc:
                        @Paymentech.c        Subject:     RE: [7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement
                        om>

                        07/11/02
                        08:41 AM

    >IANAL but I would assume, due to the nature of peer to peer networks,
    >and seeing how those files are kept in a shared directory, for the peer
    >to peer network, that any privacy laws that MAY have applied would be
    >nulled.
    >However!  I think there may be a case IF the MPAA cannot prove that
    >those files were actually their content.  Unless they actually
    >downloaded those files, and verified that is was actually their
    >property, I don't see how that case could stand in court, based on a
    >filename.

    Seems to me if everyone refused to listen to the MPAA threats, it would be
    all but, impossible for them to prosecute all the "alleged" offenders. I
    think you are correct in the above statement. Unless one can prove the
    files
    have the actual content the MPAA claims as copyrighted, then a termination
    or suspension of service would seem unwarranted. Funny, if you are getting
    DOSs'd or Spammed to hell, your ISP won't budge to fix it but, the MPAA
    sends one letter and they threaten to cut you (the customer) off.

    ~S~

    Disclaimer: My own two cents.