RE: Lessons Learned from the MPAA's use of DCMA

From: Brooke, O'neil (EXP) (o'neil.brookeat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 14:40:04 PDT

    I respectfully disagree Michal. It all depends on the presentation.

    - Does the notification that you send, cite a specific law that has been
    broken?
    - Does the notification that you send, provide the network provider, with a
    clear and unmistakable course of action that MUST be taken?
    - If this course of action is not taken are you citing the laws that the
    network service provider would be breaking?

    I took a look at the DCMA. here
    http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/hr2281_dmca_law_19981020_pl105-304.html

    This clause stood out.

    Sec. 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems

    `(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES- (1)(A) No
    person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls
    access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained in
    the preceding sentence shall take effect at the end of the 2-year period
    beginning on the date of the enactment of this chapter.

    <COMMENTS><COMMENTS><COMMENTS>

    As long as you have some copyrighted material on your computer systems, then
    all security mechanisms on that computer will be covered by the DCMA. Your
    computers and their security systems are technological measures designed to
    secure your copyrighted material.

    </COMMENTS></COMMENTS></COMMENTS>

    `(j) SECURITY TESTING-

    `(1) DEFINITION- For purposes of this subsection, the term `security
    testing' means accessing a computer, computer system, or computer network,
    solely for the purpose of good faith testing, investigating, or correcting,
    a security flaw or vulnerability, with the authorization of the owner or
    operator of such computer, computer system, or computer network.

    <COMMENTS><COMMENTS><COMMENTS>

    Network scanning, DDOS (testing yet again if a computer can be taken off
    line with this method), running exploit code against your hosts could be
    construed as 'Security Testing'.

    </COMMENTS></COMMENTS></COMMENTS>

    `(2) PERMISSIBLE ACTS OF SECURITY TESTING- Notwithstanding the provisions of
    subsection (a)(1)(A), it is not a violation of that subsection for a person
    to engage in an act of security testing, if such act does not constitute
    infringement under this title or a violation of applicable law other than
    this section, including section 1030 of title 18 and those provisions of
    title 18 amended by the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986.

    `(3) FACTORS IN DETERMINING EXEMPTION- In determining whether a person
    qualifies for the exemption under paragraph (2), the factors to be
    considered shall include--

    `(A) whether the information derived from the security testing was used
    solely to promote the security of the owner or operator of such computer,
    computer system or computer network, or shared directly with the developer
    of such computer, computer system, or computer network; and

    `(B) whether the information derived from the security testing was used or
    maintained in a manner that does not facilitate infringement under this
    title or a violation of applicable law other than this section, including a
    violation of privacy or breach of security.

    `(4) USE OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS FOR SECURITY TESTING- Notwithstanding the
    provisions of subsection (a)(2), it is not a violation of that subsection
    for a person to develop, produce, distribute or employ technological means
    for the sole purpose of performing the acts of security testing described in
    subsection (2), provided such technological means does not otherwise violate
    section (a)(2).

    <COMMENTS><COMMENTS><COMMENTS>

    But the violator has not recevied your approval. They were not working soley
    to promote the security of your network.

    So to recap:
    - Does the notification that you send cite a specific law that has been
    broken?
    Yes. DCMA (a)(1)(A) and the protections under this law (j)(2), (j)(3)(A),
    (j)(3)(B) and (j)(4) have not been met.

    Perhaps these are the exit clauses you give the network service provider and
    the end user. i.e. "If you feel that you are entitled to protections under
    the DCMA (j)(2), (j)(3)(A), (j)(3)(B) and (j)(4) you must provide us with
    name, address, and explaination. etc.

    I'll take a crack at writing up a an actual template letter later. Please be
    advised I AM NOT A LAWYER! If there are any lawyers out there, your comments
    would be greatly appreciated.

    </COMMENTS></COMMENTS></COMMENTS>