Lessons Learned from the MPAA's use of DCMA

From: Brooke, O'neil (EXP) (o'neil.brookeat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 11:18:44 PDT

    Very interesting point Scott. Perhaps we can learn something here. The MPAA
    is using clauses of the DCMA to project their will. Can we use the DCMA or
    other laws in a similar manner to stop people from abusing our networks?

    I.e. Send a letter to the network provider stating: If you do not stop this
    subscriber from taking these illegal actions (cite the law that states
    spamming, DOS'ing, etc. are illegal) then we will hold you (the network
    provider) financially accountable for our losses.

    Is anyone sufficiently familiar with the law to write up a template letter?
    Or is there already a public repository for these template letters? This
    could be a fun little experiment.

    Disclaimer: My own two cents.