RE: IE without Images

From: Ryan Goetzinger (rgoetzingerat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 13:22:03 PDT

    When you remove the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> tag from the
    image, it loads properly.  Actually, you can remove everything in the file
    past the XML declaration there, and it still causes IE to process
    indefinitely.  It seems to me that IE is reading it as a .jpg, but then sees
    the XML tag, and assumes it's an XML file, then gets all sorts of confused.
    As to why it never seems to close the file, im not too sure there.  It's
    most likely just another IE bug.  Could this possibly lead to running XML
    from image files?

    Attached is error.txt, it is just a cut down version of error.jpg, with just
    the headers, and it still processes indefinitely on my IE.  In actuality, it
    seems that "ÿØÿà" (that might not print right on some machines, without
    quotes) followed by an XML header is all that it needs.

    (IE 5.50.4134.0600 SP2)
    (Win2k SP2, semi-current on patches)
    Opera 6.01 on my machine is unaffected.

    Funniest thing happend after this, i saved the image to disk, and opened it
    in IE from there.  Renamed it to a .tiff because the image has bell.tiff
    inside.  Lo and behold, it becomes undeletable from explorer.  Same thing
    goes for ".tif". Why Tif and Tiff, i dont know, other image extensions and
    garbage extensions delete fine... It seems that Explorer tries to preview
    the image, and because IE is integrated into Win2k, IE hangs trying to load
    the image, and keeps it open for a very long time.

    How exactly was this image made?  It has Photoshop 7 in the file, with a
    date of 2002:07:10, which tells me it was made pretty recently.  Yet when i
    attempt to make similar images in Photoshop, none of them contain that XML
    header.

    -Ryan Goetzinger