Bind recursive queries quota.

From: Robert Buckley (rbuckleyat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 10:27:19 PDT

    Howdy,
    	Does anyone have any information about exploiting binds recursive
    queries [num] limitation.
    One of our clients decided to do a very intensive WebTrends report, which (
    I assume ) had an option to do
    dns lookups. We use a Cisco pix on the border, with 2 external and 2
    internal bind 9 systems.

    The Cisco pix contains a feature called a DNS-GUARD that will prevent the
    same query being answered twice.
    Another words, the 1st guy to come back with the answer to a query is let
    in, anyone else is denied.

    Our firewall logs showed inbound denials from our two externals had
    increased 196.x times more than normal.
    AVG 400 or so to about 60 thousands plus. An investigation showed that one
    single client ( The Web Trends Guy) was slamming our internal servers with
    queries.
    Our logging on our dns servers showed.  Client Recusive Queries Quota
    Reached.

    According to some research we've done, a bind server will stop answering
    queries if it has the default value of 100 unanswered queries in memory.
    Of course this value can be increased via an option. It seemed to me that
    this type of abuse from the webtrends app, nearly caused a denial of service
    on our dns.

    IMO, it would be trivial to write something to to ask 100 bogus queries that
    dont get answered in time.
    Anyone have a similiar experience or security information on this?