Re: Bind recursive queries quota.

From: Guanglong Zhang (glzhangat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 18:56:25 PDT

    Hello Robert,

    Hm....£¬I meet the same problem of bind9 recursive queries DOS.
    Does anyone have solution?

    Saturday, July 20, 2002, 1:27:19 AM, you wrote:
    Robert Buckley> Howdy,
    Robert Buckley>         Does anyone have any information about exploiting binds recursive
    Robert Buckley> queries [num] limitation.
    Robert Buckley> One of our clients decided to do a very intensive WebTrends report, which (
    Robert Buckley> I assume ) had an option to do
    Robert Buckley> dns lookups. We use a Cisco pix on the border, with 2 external and 2
    Robert Buckley> internal bind 9 systems.

    Robert Buckley> The Cisco pix contains a feature called a DNS-GUARD that will prevent the
    Robert Buckley> same query being answered twice.
    Robert Buckley> Another words, the 1st guy to come back with the answer to a query is let
    Robert Buckley> in, anyone else is denied.

    Robert Buckley> Our firewall logs showed inbound denials from our two externals had
    Robert Buckley> increased 196.x times more than normal.
    Robert Buckley> AVG 400 or so to about 60 thousands plus. An investigation showed that one
    Robert Buckley> single client ( The Web Trends Guy) was slamming our internal servers with
    Robert Buckley> queries.
    Robert Buckley> Our logging on our dns servers showed.  Client Recusive Queries Quota
    Robert Buckley> Reached.

    Robert Buckley> According to some research we've done, a bind server will stop answering
    Robert Buckley> queries if it has the default value of 100 unanswered queries in memory.
    Robert Buckley> Of course this value can be increased via an option. It seemed to me that
    Robert Buckley> this type of abuse from the webtrends app, nearly caused a denial of service
    Robert Buckley> on our dns.

    Robert Buckley> IMO, it would be trivial to write something to to ask 100 bogus queries that
    Robert Buckley> dont get answered in time.
    Robert Buckley> Anyone have a similiar experience or security information on this?

    --
    James Zhang
    Manager,T.S.Dept. Marsec System     Mobile: 13910526162