Re: Lindows Issues

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 21:18:50 PDT

    On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 01:41:57 -0000, dawat_private (David Wagner)  said:
    > Timothy L. Salus wrote:
    > >Therefore any code or system can be broken
    >
    > This is debateable, but more importantly, it is an dangerous meme.

    I'd rather have that meme on the loose than "It's secure because the
    vendor says it is".

    If people are convinced it's not secure, that would be a Very Big Win for
    personal privacy - people will start asking "Do I *want* to give this
    website/business/whatever my <whatever> number where it could be hacked?"

    I'd rather have that then a certain database vendor CEO say that his product
    is good enough(*) to run a national ID card database and be taken seriously.

    People understand that cars aren't crashproof and theftproof - but very few
    give up on cars as a result.  Fortunately for society, most people realize that
    using seat belts, not driving drunk, keeping the car in good repair, and
    locking the doors when in bad neighborhoods vastly improve your chances.

    Now if we could just convince them the same thing about computers.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    (*) On the other hand, nobody's product is good enough.  We don't know
    how to build something that good.  Think "J Edgar Hoover and Martin Luther
    King Jr", and ask how you can *possibly* write software to stop that.