Re: Does MSN Messenger Bypass Group Policy?

From: Tim McKenzie (webmaster@crazy-horse.net)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 12:27:36 PDT

    > Another neat trick that you can do is to schedule a task.  Even if you
    > don't have access to run any programs, the system will run the program
    > for you.  If you don't have access to scheduled tasks, you can run
    > forbidden programs if they are spawned from allowed programs!  We used
    > Microsoft's C++ at school, which was one of the few allowed programs.
    > From there you could just open a binary (like minesweeper :), then go
    > "run program" and it would run like a champ.  This was in a Windows
    > 98/NT environment, I don't know if it works on 2000/XP.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Sullivan

    There is another method as well, but not as guaranteed to get around all
    security measures. Right click on an executable.. choose copy.. then right
    click on it again and choose paste. It will run the program. This is
    sufficient to get around most local security programs for Win95/98 but I
    seriously doubt it will work on disallowed programs in WinNT/2k/XP. I could
    be wrong though, worth giving it a shot if you have one of the server OS's.

    -Tim