Re: strange man behavior

From: Rob Pickering (robat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 04:51:47 PDT

    There is no defect here, much less an exploitable one. Man is exiting
    with a non-zero status when asked to format an infinite string of
    random characters. It is correctly catching the data error.

    Even if it did have a defect, of which I don't doubt there are
    thousands in an average *NIX, it would only be of significance from a
    vulnerability point of view if it were setuid binary, a daemon
    accessible over the network to non-authenticated users, or you can
    conceivably cause a process running under something other than your
    own UID to trip over it.

    Otherwise these are of no more significant than writing a program
    like:

    main(){f();}
    int f(){char buf[4]; gets(buf);}

    compiling and running it yourself.