Re: exploiting printers, home routers & smb routers

From: FX (fxat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 01:10:59 PDT

    Ch, list,

    chrisdat_private <chrisdat_private> wrote in 0.7K bytes:
    > I read the black hat presentation on exploiting printers:
    > http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-02/bh-us-02-phenoelit-network.pdf
    > , good stuff & a real eye opener!

    [SNIP]

    > My question, could something similar to exploiting printers be done to
    > routers or would the hardware be totally incompatible ?

    As you can see in the second half of the presentation, it is most definitely
    possible. There are currently several different approaches:

    1) Exploiting a design failure to upload code
       This was proved using the HP Chai services.
    2) Exploiting a hole and writing code to run on the hardware, hereby ignoring
       the operating system totally and replacing information on permanent storage
       (such as NVRAM). This is how the Cisco IOS exploit works.
    3) Exploiting a hole and writing code to modify the currently running embedded
       OS. That's not proved so far, but would involve returning cleanly from the
       "shell code" and keep the system running.
    4) ... anything the bright guys out there come up with

    So, to answer you question: Yes.

    cheers
    FX

    --