Re: More on Shatter

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 08:29:49 PDT

    > Just because users can logon locally doesn't make
    > any root exploit on that box harmless.

    Any privilege escalation attack that works is
    potentially deadly.  Limiting physical access will
    only prevent (or slow down) certain classes/types of
    attackers...the malicious or disgruntled employee is
    not one of the ones that will be deterred.

    For example, the DebPloit mentioned a bit ago on
    NTBugTraq was/is a local exploit, but the example
    executable was included in the Masy worm.  There was
    also nothing preventing an authorized user from
    installing it on their own workstation.

    I'm just as guilty of it as others.  As a consultant,
    I used PipeUpAdmin.exe to give myself Admin privileges
    on my workstation.