Re: Secure Yahoo logins

From: Nick Jacobsen (nickat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 20:36:40 PDT

    A couple things -  one, yahoo DOES send the password in plain text, you just
    have to capture it at the right time, and two, wether or not your users are
    logging in securely doesn't really matter, as it is REALLY easy to ARP
    poison, and then perform a man in the middle attack...  you should try using
    ettercap instead of ethereal, to see this...  ettercap supports full,
    automated ARP poisoning, as well as automating the mitm attack process...
    it supports SSH(Secure Telnet) and SSL(HTTPS) decryption and sniffing, as
    well as having a very well documented API for plugins...

    I guess my main point is that if you are having your users log in using
    "secure log in" for the express reason of making it so their password cannot
    be sniffed, it is pointless, as anyone can STILL sniff it!

    Nick J.
    Ethics Design
    nickat_private
    ethicsat_private