Re: Secure Yahoo logins

From: David Thiel (lxat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 21:06:14 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:36:40PM -0700, Nick Jacobsen wrote:
    > it supports SSH(Secure Telnet)

    SSH is not even remotely like "Secure Telnet".

    > and SSL(HTTPS) decryption and sniffing, as

    Only if you have the server's keypair.

    > I guess my main point is that if you are having your users log in using
    > "secure log in" for the express reason of making it so their password cannot
    > be sniffed, it is pointless, as anyone can STILL sniff it!

    There's a higher difficulty level involved with MITM attacks, and
    measures can be taken to prevent and/or recognize such attacks.
    SSL is not a panacea, but it's a useful layer of security.  The
    fact that MITM attacks exist is not proper rationale for abandoning
    the use of encryption.