Re: Secure Yahoo logins

From: Chris Caydes (chris_caydesat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 08:48:53 PDT

    Hello,

    I keep hearing and reading about Yahoo Messenger as
    the least secure IM software, because the passwords
    are transmitted in plaintext.
    Yet Yahoo has changed the login process in their
    Messenger several months ago, and I don't know if the
    critics about Y!Msg transmitting clear text passwords
    applies to the current versions of the product, or
    only the old ones.
    Or do they apply only if one tries to connect to Yahoo
    through an HTTP proxy ? or a SOCKS proxy ?
    I did some quick testing using "direct" connections
    (no proxies).
    I sniffed my own Yahoo login with both Ethereal and
    Ettercap, and couldn't collect the password. The login
    name however, as well as all the aliases and the
    entire buddy list, were sniffed as they are
    transmitted in clear text. I could easily read all
    that information in Ethereal. Both Ethereal and
    Ettercap claim to decode the Yahoo protocol, but
    neither actually did. What I saw were "raw TCP
    packets" :-)
    I did the same test with ICQ and I collected the
    password easily using Ettercap.

    I believe Yahoo has made some changes in their IM
    protocol a few months ago, and the sniffers only
    decode the previous version of the protocol.
    I came across the following document on the web, which
    explains some of the Yahoo Protocol.
    http://www.venkydude.com/articles/yahoo.htm

    Regards
    Chris