Re: SUMMARY: Disabling Port 445 (SMB) Entirely

From: Andrew Oman (Andrew.Omanat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 10:21:34 PDT

    I hope this adds a little bit on one more method of diabling/unbinding
    SMB:
    ( sorry if the cross-post was not appropriate )

    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/techresources/commnet/WINS/WINSwp98/WINS11-12.asp

    HKLM\System\Controlset001\Services\NetBT\Parameters

    Non-Configurable Parameters
    The following parameters are created and used internally by the NetBT
    components. They should never be modified using the Registry Editor. They
    are listed here for reference only.

    TransportBindName
    Key: Netbt\Parameters
    Value Type: REG_SZ - Character string
    Valid Range: N/A
    Default: \Device\
    The default value should not be changed.

    SMBDeviceEnabled
    Key: Netbt\Parameters
    Value Type: REG_DWORD—Boolean
    Valid Range: 0, 1 (false, true)
    Default: 1 (true)

    SMB Device, which is enabled by default. This parameter can be used to
    disable the SMB device for troubleshooting purposes.

    Using the SMBDeviceEnabled key removes SMB from binding to 445.

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    "Jason Coombs" <jasoncat_private>
    08/29/2002 08:05 PM