Re: Hashes,File protection,etc

From: Dave Aitel (daveat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 12:34:55 PDT

    On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 15:59, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
    > Dave Aitel wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 14:40, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
    > >

    > >>For remotely computed data / hashes, you can't -- thus the folly of
    > >>trusting MD5 hashes on critical files downloaded off of untrusted
    > >>servers.  If somebody can modify the tarball, they can probably modify
    > >>the hash too.
    > >>

    > >Well, not always, if there is a semi-trusted third party or two - see
    > >http://www.immunitysec.com/hashdb.html for one implementation of this
    > >sort of thing.
    > >

    > Cool stuff there!  Maybe host the DB over DNS or something trivial.
    >  hash.filename.immunitysec.com :-)
    >
    > Incidentally, Bitzi was/is trying to do something like your stuff for
    > arbitrary data -- they didn't care what(P2P), they just hosted the
    > translation between hash to content.  Genuinely cool crypto, using
    > Merkle's old Hash Tree concept.
    >
    > The great thing about hash trees is that you don't need the entire file
    > to find out you're being fed bad data.
    >
    > I believe Bitzi opened their code, too:  www.bitzi.com.
    >
    > --Dan

    Cool. I'd go look at that, but 10000 people are currently grabbing SPIKE
    Proxy or SPIKE looking for that IIS DoS, which means my network
    connection is swamped. I squeeze my e-mail through, though. :>

    Any solution to this problem would be good - be it mine, or something
    else. I'm really tired of hearing about opensource.tar.gz getting
    trojaned. If Ximian, Freshmeat.net, Akamai or something would host a
    HashDB server, we could be done with that stuff once and for all. As it
    is, you're only protected for files that I have bothered to go out and
    grab, or validated off of announcements.

    --
    Dave Aitel <daveat_private>
    Immunity, Inc