Re: Application Vulnerability Analysis

From: Joao Gouveia (tharbadat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 10:33:52 PDT

    Hello,

    I once did, as part of a blind test, some hammering on a Siebel Web Engine.
    At the time, I found some 'critial' situations wich i've reported to the
    vendor. To be honest, I don't know if this has been fixed or not, this was
    reported on April this year.
    I am pasting this information from the notes I have here, forgive me if this
    is not totally acurate:

    Faulty request:
    <quote>
    start.swe?SWEMethod=Drilldown&SWEApplet=<applet>&SWEView=<view>SWEApcn=1&SWE
    Field=l_FAQSWECmd=InvokeMethod&SWECount=12&SWERowIds=SWERowId0%3d1-MZ4<large
    string>
    </quote>

    From my 'side' (the client), the consequences were:

    1. Response to the 'attack' request: "Internal Error. Encountered an
    unexpected exception."
    2. Response from a normal request after that: "Unable to access SOM user to
    process
    this request. This server is too busy to process any more requests at the
    moment."
    3. Response from another normal request after: "System session cannot be
    started. If
    the problem persists, ask your systems administrator to make sure that the
    application is started, and check the application configuration, including
    database and anonymous user settings."

    As this was part of a blind test, I have no clue on what really were the
    consequences on the server side.
    The only information I have been allowed to was, and quoting the sysadmin
    ( this is a translation, not necessary correct :-) ):
    " You may stop this now! You're making our production database spitting fire
    and smoke!"

    So, I would guess that it was a database related problem :-)

    Best regards,

    Joao Gouveia
    tharbadat_private