Re: HTML email and external embedded links.

From: Wim Mees (Wim.Meesat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 12:16:13 PDT

    Even a basic NAT box does more than simply replacing the private internal
    source IP address by the shared public IP address. It also replaces the
    source TCP port number by a new number, chosen by the NAT box, in order to
    allow the NAT box to distinguish different outgoing connections from
    different internal IP's which happen to use the same source TCP port.

    Once the NAT session is initiated from the inside, you can from the outside
    only send packets to this new TCP port number, which will then be forwarded
    to the original TCP port number on the original internal IP. In other words,
    to the html rendering engine of the mail client the user is using.

    You cannot access any other ports on the internal machine.

    WiM