Re: Covert Channels

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:28:51 PDT

    Jose Nazario wrote:
    > for the reasons clearly stated by several bright individuals on this topic
    > previously, any product which claims to detect and defeat covert channels
    > on a network (or even a multiuser system) is snake oil.

    No more than an IDS vendor.  An IDS does not stop, or even detect, all
    intrusions.  A covert channel detector would be the same thing (and would
    probably just be an IDS add-on.)  That is, it would detect known covert
    channel methods, might have some logic to detect some possible unknown
    attempts.  It would have frequent signature updates, etc... you know the drill.

    If someone thinks an IDS is useful (and I'm not trying to say they aren't)
    then there is no reason to think a covert channel detector wouldn't be
    useful for the same reason.

    						BB