Re: Covert Channels

From: Timothy J. Miller (cerebusat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 14:08:25 PDT

    On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 02:57  PM, Richard Masoner wrote:

    > I've only been following this thread peripherally, but
    > isn't covert channel discussion limited to analyzing
    > the assurance of Trusted Systems?

    In a formal sense, yes you are correct.  Covert channels are only of
    note in systems with nondiscretionary access control models.  The light
    pink book (NCSC-TG-030, A Guide to Understanding Covert Channel
    Analysis of Trusted Systems) defines covert channels as:

    "Given a nondiscretionary (e.g., mandatory) security policy model M and
    its interpretation I(M) in an operating system, any potential
    communication between two subjects I(Sh) and I(Si) of I(M) is covert if
    and only if any communication between the corresponding subjects Sh and
    Si of the model M is illegal in M."

    I wasn't able to find a formal definition of covert channels in the
    Common Criteria documents; but it's pretty clear that the above
    definition is still in use (i.e., the covert channel analysis section
    states that the analysis is looking for communication between subjects
    in violation of the TSP).  Of course, CCA isn't required until EAL5.

    However, in the real world "covert channel" has come to mean,
    effectively, "communication between subjects using any method not
    originally intended for this purpose."  This is obviously a much looser
    definition.  For example, using the unused 32bit word of an ICMP type 3
    (destination unreachable) datagram to communicate would commonly be
    considered a covert channel.  (I'm aware of one IDS that allegedly uses
    ICMP similarly to communicate between the remote sensor and the
    analysis server.)  Steganography would fall under this looser
    definition.

    -- Cerebus