Re: TOTAL WIRELESS SECURITY

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 06:55:30 PST

    On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:29:16 PST, Bartholomew Simpson <focusyneat_private>  said:
    > I have several areas were no wireless communications
    > are allowed cell phones, wireless PDAs, text pagers,
    > 802.11x, etc.  I frequently monitor these areas using
    > NetStumbler but that will only catch 802.11x traffic.
    > How do I detect the rest of the wireless traffic?

    Think outside the box. ;)

    Most of the areas I can think of that are "no wireless allowed" are either
    areas with a goverment security rating (in which case the friendly Marine will
    make *sure* you aren't carrying a cell phone ;) or testing facilities where
    you don't want unaccounted-for radiation.  In the latter case, you also
    need to worry about standoff distance (what about a guy using a cell phone
    just OUTSIDE the building)?

    If you could explain in more detail *why* "no wireless allowed", we might
    be able to point you in a better direction.

    Remember in your threat analysis to consider the fact that the person can
    always make a cell phone call right after he/she leaves your facility...
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer