Re: TOTAL WIRELESS SECURITY

From: joveat_private
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 06:58:33 PST

    Hello Bart,

    	It seems that you are taking the reactive approach.  If this is
    necessary due to policies then you are going to have a very hard time
    being able to track individual users of mobile communication devices
    within the building without some sort of triangulation.  However there is
    a proactive approach to implementing this policy.

    	There exist technologies which key-up over the transmitting power
    of these mobile devices, and effectively interfere with any rf signals
    entering the building.  This creates a sort of "black hole" for rf
    signals effectively disabling mobile communications.  I believe canada was
    considering an implementation of this within their movie theatres.  The
    main reason they were not able to implement this AFAIK was due to legal
    reasons, something along the lines of if there's an emergency which occurs
    and the land lines are not working then you would have been responsible
    for preventing these people from getting help.  I am not a lawyer though
    and would suggest talking to either a legal department or an attorney
    knowledgable in this subject area.  Here's a link
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/Welcomeic.nsf/261ce500dfcd7259852564820068dc6d/85256779007b82f485256a0a004da08f!OpenDocument

    Cheers,
    Jove