Re: shell script cgi (summary?)

From: c jones (ojnes33at_private)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 10:58:24 PST

    Thanks to everyone who replied regarding my attempts
    to stuff shell commands into this line:

    > ua=`echo "$HTTP_USER_AGENT" | sed "s#\;##g"`

    The summary is that no matter what time of " ' `
    characters, shell commands, or termination or escape
    characters I tried to put into the $HTTP_USER_AGENT
    field I can't get it to execute commands.  It's a
    surprisingly resilient line of code, most likely due
    to the "s around the $HTTP_USER_AGENT variable. I
    wouldn't call this type of programming "safe", but
    it's not *nearly* as bad as I thought at first.

    The $ua variable is not ever used again so there's no
    other opportunity to exploit it... it's a very useless
    line of code which should be removed anyway--it just
    looks very exploitable (and may be by someone out
    there ;).

    Thanks again to everyone that responded, it was very
    much appreciated & got me thinking in all sorts of
    different directions.

    Regards