Re: shell script cgi

From: Philip Rowlands (phrat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:23:46 PST

    On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, c jones wrote:

    >I have found the line below in an sh cgi program, and believe I can
    >pass a command to the shell but can't seem to get it to work right.
    [snip]
    >ua=`echo "$HTTP_USER_AGENT" | sed "s#\;##g"`

    The quotes around HTTP_USER_AGENT prevent any "chained commands", e.g.
    'Mozilla 6; rm -rf /'.

    Perhaps you're confusing the backticks; they execute the line given in
    the script, not the result of the 'echo ...; sed'.

    I don't see any way here to manipulate the input to execute arbitrary
    code.

    Cheers,

    Phil