Need help w/ Dell Windows security issue

From: Curt Wilson (netw3_securityat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 14:01:10 PST

    I've found a DoS vulnerability in a Dell openmanage application on a Win2K
    advanced server, and I am trying to discover if more can be done with the
    issue. I have little experience in working with vulnerabilities at the
    assembly and stack level.

    Basically, a simple telnet to the open TCP port causes a particular
    service to die.

    "an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket"
    "the exception generated was c0000005 at address 00403234 {<nosymbols>}"

    Dr. Watson - exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

    FAULT -> 00403224 8b07    mov   eax,[edi]         ds:00000000=????????

    (stack dump, etc. snipped for public posting)

    I attempted to send many 0x41 chars, and then checked the various
    registers in the state dump (dr watson log file) but it does not appear
    that my data is getting through. Something about the connection itself
    breaks the service, whether it's a raw connection or a connection through
    telnet. I'm trying to isolate what the application actually expects and
    hope to have more information soon.

    For all I know, nothing else can be done. However, given that my skills in
    this particular area are in their early formative stage, maybe someone
    else can provide some insight.

    If anyone is kind enough to help analyze this issue further, please drop
    me a line. If anyone else is running Dell servers with any of the
    OpenManage applications for windows, please let me know.

    Please direct any flames to /dev/null

    Curt Wilson
    Netw3 security
    www.netw3.com