Re: format strings vulns in /bin/login and /usr/bin/passwd

From: Brandon Erhart (berhartat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 08:53:58 PST

    Faulty,
             Just because there's a *printf function called from the code
    doesn't mean it's vuln. They'd have to overwrite data somewhere by possible
    mis-use of the function(s). I do not know which flavor of Unix this is
    from, so I'm unabel to look over the source code at those lines specified.
             Perhaps you need to look at them and see if they don't use any
    format strings and instead just pass variables -- that's always a tell-tale
    sign :)

    Brandon E. Erhart