Re: VisualBasic auditing

From: Voguemaster (hydraxat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 09:55:47 PST

    Well,

    As for VB auditing there are several things that one can do.
    For starters, the best VB analysis tool is definately Numega's
    SmartCheck. Even without sources it can pretty much analyze what
    the program is doing.
    Now, security vulnerabilities in the VB VM aside, the only other
    places to look for are interactions of the VB program with the
    environment in which it is running. For example, using external
    resource of any kind can pose a security threat. Exchanging data
    with other components (mainly client programs or otherwise untrusted
    input sources) is hazardous as well. It will be worth looking
    into how good of an implementation there is in this program.
    Remember, unexpected behavious can occur in all sorts of way, not
    only exploiting an unchecked buffer. As for the oldest trick in the
    book (almost), if there is communication with an external resource
    which is not written in VB, who knows.
    BTW, it is possible to crash a VB program or create some sort of DoS
    on it. The VM handles it pretty well enough but a vulnerability in
    the software itself is still a vulnerability.

    SmartCheck and other tools can be used to audit the program. For
    PCODE programs you'd have to approach the matter differently. Probably
    using some sort of decompiler. Even debuggers can be used (SoftIce comes
    to mind) if you're experienced enough not to get lost in the
    bloated code of a VB application.

    Eli