RE: Outlook Crashing, and not asking for password

From: Michael Wojcik (Michael.Wojcikat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 09:08:42 PST

    On some platforms, Outlook appears to use a separate process to actually
    communicate with the server.  On Windows NT, that process is MAPISP32.EXE,
    for example.  If outlook.exe dies but mapisp32.exe is still running, you
    won't be prompted for login information when you restart Outlook.

    I've never seen this happen under any other circumstances, and logging out
    or rebooting should terminate mapisp32, and if you're in the habit of
    leaving a physically-unsecured system unattended while logged in, you have
    worse problems, so this probably isn't a vulnerability.  In any case,
    Outlook is so crammed full of security holes that there's not much point in
    worrying about this one.  Avoid Outlook if you can; if you're forced by a
    foolish IT department (or the legacy of a former foolish IT department, in
    my case) to use it, worry first about securing it against remote exploits.
    (I've disabled HTML email, for example, and use an application firewall to
    prevent Outlook from connecting to any system except the corporate Exchange
    server.  Those two take care of a lot of the holes.)

    Michael Wojcik
    Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus