Re: Detecting abnormal behaviour

From: Alexander E. Cuttergo (algoat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 14:40:00 PST

    Adrian S <hotelectronat_private> wrote:
    > Is it possible to determine the source address of the system call to check
    > if it is proper from a list of legal addresses (legal process space etc) ?
    If your question was:
    "Is it possible to determine in kernel mode the value of userland instruction
    pointer at the moment of executing a system call"
    then in case of Linux it is. I think it is true on every sane OS.

    What are you trying to achieve ? If a protection against executing
    shellcode, then be aware that in case of return-into-libc exploits the rogue
    code executes within library/executable image, not within stack/heap.

    peace,
    Algo