RE: Backup Agents

From: john blumenthal (jblumenat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 11:35:29 PST

    Run any popular backup agent binary through IDA and you'll see extensive
    potential for buffer overflow and format string attacks.  This would provide
    the ability to gain full control of the localhost, and offer a straight shot
    to the server process running as root remotely.  Not many people have
    studied the security implications of poorly coded, networked backup
    software; most discussions I've seen focus on firewall configurations for
    securing network communications, and not an application level attack.