Re: Backup Agents

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 14:35:06 PST

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Geo. wrote:

    > [...] so I was wondering if anyone had ever researched how secure the
    > connection between a backup server and a machine running a backup
    > agent is. [...]

    Some superficial observation I made regarding two "enterprise" backup
    systems (I will call them A and B) a while ago:

    1. Agent A: connection not encrypted, the agent insists on getting the
    root's password in plaintext (!) from the server.

    2. Agent B: connection not encrypted, based on Sun RPC, using the weak
    Unix authentication perhaps "strengthened" with the check of the peer's
    IP address.

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."