RE: Backup Agents

From: Scott Harrington (sharringtonat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 15:25:23 PST

    More architecture based than software but...

    We implemented a complete backup backplane to which everything is connected
    - web servers, database boxes, etc.  The switch all the boxes are connected
    to, including the backup server, is VLANed in a rather unique way (well,
    unique to me).

    Port one, which is the backup server, has a primary VLAN of VLAN1, and is a
    member of all the other VLAN's.  All the other ports on the switch are
    configured with the individual port having a primary VLAN of VLAN<x> and a
    member of VLAN1.  Basically what this gives is the ability for every box on
    the backplane to communicate with the backup server, but one box cannot
    communicate to another box (data is only be sent out via the primary VLAN of
    a port, but is received on all VLANs that port is a member of).

    The backup server itself is not connected to the internal network - it is
    only connected to the backup backplane.  Since our corporate email server is
    one of the servers on the backplane, email notifications and job reports can
    still be sent from the backup server.

    Backup agents are all configured to only run on the backup backplane
    interface.

    All in all, I'm mostly happy with the security of this.