Re: NetBIOS could be used as network flood amplier

From: L. Walker (k_anedaat_private)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 14:33:40 PDT

    Just moving this to vuln-dev before the bugtraq admin eats us.

    I've seen similar 'things' to what your referring to.. I understand what
    you mean by using NetBIOS's replies to takedown a host or two.

    Back a while ago on the list, someone pointed out that games such as
    'Battlefield 1942', which utilise GameSpy on UDP, could easily be used
    to attack hosts when sending a <100 byte packet would result in a 2K
    reply.

    Guess Microsoft has some more patching to do.

    --
    L. Walker
    BOFH Excuse #385: Dyslexics retyping hosts file on servers