Re: Administrivia: List Announcement

From: xenophi1e (oliver.laveryat_private)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 08:14:39 PDT

    Well, I dunno about others on this list, but this old vuln by Solar
    Designer gives some good hints:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/71598

    Seems like convincing free() to write to __free_hook or another pointer
    to code would work well here, although I'm not certain it's possible
    given the limited amount of data that can be tweaked in the malloc()
    bookkeeping info if the overwrite is indeed happening in buf1 and is only
    a single byte. 'Course it's a little hard to keep track of without the
    benefit of gdb.

    Wish I had a linux box to play with at the moment :{

    Cheers,
    ~ol