vulndev-1 and a suggestion about the ensuing discussion

From: Bernie Cosell (bernieat_private)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 16:59:18 PDT

    Let me comment that I see two directions of analysis on the buggy-code-
    scraps we might be presented to look at:
      1) understanding _really_ what the problem is, and
      2) investigating how the problem manifests itself in different
          contexts and under different sorts of attacks.

    And from our comments, I can also see that we have sort of informally
    divided into those two camps: with some discussing the peculiarities of
    particular library calls while others dove in right away and tried to
    exploit it on various platforms.

    I have to confess I'm of the former camp, and with that, I'd like to take
    a step back and ask:  To my view, the *ONLY* problem in that little scrap
    of code is that the 'for' loop clobbered *at*most* one byte, the byte
    following the malloc of buf1 -- because of the off-by-one in the for loop
    end test.  Were there other problems in the code besides that?  [as I
    mentioned, its been >20yrs since I did much/any C programming so I'm more
    than a bit rusty].

    The second aspect is also interesting, but to my view *separate*: if my
    above analysis is correct, then the question is, "how much damage can you
    cause in various operating systems and with particular C compilers if you
    can clobber that one byte off the end of a malloc" [with the answer being
    "a widely variable amount of damage, of course..:o)].  And I realize this
    is a burden [and I'm *NOT* volunteering...:o)] but I think it'd be
    helpful for us all to have a bit of a summary after the dust settles:
        Linux 8.0 w/gcc does THIS
        Windows with Microsoft Visual C++ does THAT
         ...etc...

      /bernie\

    mailto:bernieat_private     Pearisburg, VA