Re: Anyone looked at the canary stack protection in Win2k3?

From: Ivan Arce (ivan.arceat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 11:12:25 PDT

    You might want to take a look at Gerardo Richarte's paper:
    "Bypassing Stackshield and StackGuard protection"
    http://www.coresecurity.com/common/showdoc.php?idx=242&idxseccion=11

    Abstract:
    Stack shielding technologies have been developed to protect programs against
    exploitation of stack based buffer overflows. Among different types of
    protections, we can separate two mayor groups. Those that modify the
    environment where applications are executed, for example PaX now integrated
    into the OpenWall project, and those that alter the way programs are
    compiled. We will focus on the last groups, specially in StackGuard,
    StackShield, and Microsoft's new stack smashing protection.

    Techniques that exploit stack based buffer overflows on protected programs
    and environment have been presented in the past. Here we'll describe how the
    studied protections work, and then we'll present four more tricks to bypass
    stack smashing protections, some of which are extentions of older
    techniques, and some we think are novel.