[ISN] R.I. man indicted for hacking in university computers systems

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 16:10:09 PDT

    Forwarded From: Aleph One <aleph1at_private>

    http://www.boston.com/globe/latest/daily/14/harvard.htm

       R.I. man indicted for hacking in university computers systems

       By Globe Online Staff, 05/14/98

       20-year-old Rhode Island man has been indicted by a federal
       grand jury in Boston charged with committing intentional damage to
       computer systems maintained by Harvard University, Amherst College and
       Internet Services of Central Florida.

       Sean Trifero, 20, of 1134 East Main Road, Middletown, R.I., was also
       indicted on a charge of gaining unauthorized access to a computer
       system maintained by Arctic Slope Regional Corp. and Barrows Cable in
       Alaska.

       United States Attorney Donald K. Stern and Federal Bureau of
       Investigation Special Agent in Charge Barry S. Mawn announced the
       indictment today.

       Stern and Mawn said the indictment, which was unsealed after his
       arrest this morning, alleges that the attacks on the computer systems
       occurred in 1996 and 1997.

       The announcement concerning the indictment did not give details
       concerning the incidents.

       If convicted, Trifero faces a maximum penalty of five years
       imprisonment, a $250,000 fine, and restitution on each of the four
       counts.

       The investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of
       Investigation's Computer Crimes Squad, with the assistance of the
       Middletown, Rhode Island Police Department and the Office of the
       Inspector General of NASA.

       © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company Boston Globe Extranet

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]