Re: FW: [ISN] The Code Red hype Hall of Shame

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 02:59:22 PDT

    Forwarded from: Brian McWilliams <bmcwat_private>

    At 04:19 AM 8/13/01, InfoSec News forwarded on:

    > as for the twinkies, i prefer not to name names.  they're a
    > 'type'. they think company flacks are a legitimate news source.
    > (well they can be, so long as you're questioning them about their
    > competitors, lol). they're gullibile, and ambitious, and
    > well-groomed, and they don't expect people to lie to them.  they
    > went to schools like my alma mater (Williams), but they imagined
    > their professors were all wonderful people, and cherish their
    > diplomas.  they can read and digest difficult text, and re-cap it
    > on command; they've learned to follow complex instructions, meet
    > deadlines with pluck, and go about things in a 'professional'
    > manner -- that is, without reluctance, personal flair or (Heaven
    > forbid) independent moral reasoning. They lack imagination,
    > talent, and most of all, courage.  And they make me sick.

    Thomas,

    Our colleagues are not perfect, but this is the most mean-spirited
    thing I've read in a long time.

    What the hell is the relevance of grooming?!

    Your willingness to leap to such generalizations is a dangerous
    tendency in a journalist. At best, it leads to the sort of
    stereotyping that claims all hackers are pimply social misfits. At
    worst, it could cause a reporter to force facts to fit his hypotheses
    or biases.

    Brian

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.