Re: [ISN] true terror...

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 01:19:29 PST

    Forwarded from: Richard Forno <rfornoat_private>

    There are two reasons for them to keep issuing these warnings.

    Conspiracy Theory:

    The reason why we keep seeing these "credible warnings" is simple. By
    issuing a warning, even one as nebulous as what we've seen recently,
    the FBI - the agency in charge of counterterrorism - can have
    plausibile deniability in the event something occurs.

    Eg,
    Week 2: "We have credible evidence...'  (Nothing happens)
    Week 3: Bad press aimed at FBI for panicking folks
    Week 4: "we have credible evidence...' (Nothing happnes)
    Week 5: More bad press aimed at FBI for panicking folks
    Week 24: "We have credible evidence...." (SOMETHING HAPPENS)
    Week 25: Press goes ga-ga and sings the FBI's praises for alertness; Emperor
    Ashcroft lobbies for and receives more funding for FY03.

    Now they can honestly say they provided public warning, and as a
    result, are cleared of any 'witholding information' that cost American
    lives.

    Hopefully-The-Real-Reason Theory:

    Of course, the rationalist in me sees this as a catch-22 for the FBI.
    If they DON'T issue an alert, and something happens, they're bitched
    at for witholding information and being incompetent. If they DO issue
    an alert, and nothing happens, they're bitched at for undue panic and
    fear-mongering. A frustrating situation, to be sure. I hope this is
    the real reason for them doing this.

    My 2 cents.

    rf

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.