Re: [ISN] Adopt A Soldier, or something like that...

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 00:16:01 PST

    Forwared from: Ted Arthur <arcturousat_private>

    Mr. Knowles and allcon,

    I just wanted to take a second to thank you for bringing this to
    everyones attention. There have been three very specific times in my
    military career I have either seen this working beautifully, or in
    desperate need.

    In basic training at Great Lakes Ill. many young sailors were adopted
    by the local community for one night on Xmas eve. This is actually
    quite staggering when you think of how many sailors are spread between
    the Recruit training center and the Technical training center across
    the street. And while I wasn't adopted that Xmas eve (gave it up to my
    rackmate who was in much greater need of it than myself) I know that
    this little intervention helped many young men and women going through
    a very new experience.

    If there are any subscribers in the Chicago/Great Lakes area, my hat
    is off to you. I was AMAZED how many of my shipmates got a chance to
    go home with someone that day.

    While stationed overseas the local military contingent took care of
    each other rather well, but at times it could seem almost like society
    as a whole were unaware of their sons and daughters out there doing
    the jobs that needed to be done.

    It's at this point that one realizes that it's not the action that
    makes a man long for home, but rather the day to day work and
    monotonous routine that hammers away at his spirit. To this ailment a
    simple letter, package or call can make a young service members head
    swim with the pride he feels at working to protect a society that
    would do this for him.

    Finally, one can never forget the boys and girls deployed. Granted, it
    is particularly being a soldier, airman or marine in foreign
    countries, but none have it as bad service members on ships or forward
    deployed. No other service is asked to pack everything they have into
    a tiny locker, say goodbye to their family and go to sea on a rusty
    bucket for 6 months or more, each year. Not to mention what a navy
    wife has to suffer through.

    While deployed in the gulf in early '99 there were two things that
    made each day worth struggling through:

    1) The ensuing port call 5 weeks away and,
    2) Letters from home.

    Nothing parallels the feeling of hearing you have mail waiting for you
    and nothing hurts more than the last line of whatever letter you have,
    realizing no number of pages would have been long enough to keep you
    happy, but for that one moment, it was all perfect.

    I realize I may wax poetic here and sprinkle drama more than CNN on a
    slow news day, but I can't stress enough how important this is to your
    fighting men and women. If you have done this before, thank you. If
    you've thought about, please try it, you will make such a difference.
    If you've never done it, just ask the next veteran you see how
    important this can be to someone away from home (OUTCONUS).

    Thanks for your time and happy holidays to all.

    Ted Arthur
    Naval Security Group Activity Pensacola
    United States Navy

      ----- Original Message -----=20