[ISN] Adopt A Soldier, or something like that...

From: William Knowles (wkat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 00:24:13 PST

    Sometime ago with the holidays around the corner, some of you were
    curious on ways to adopt a serviceman or woman serving either here or
    overseas. From what I understood the Department of Defense stopped
    forwarding parcels and mail from anonymous parties about the time of
    the Anthrax attacks to the U.S. Government.

    I did however keep my ears and eyes open and I think I might have
    something that you all might be interested in, from the website...

    http://anyservicemember.navy.mil/

    Send a special holiday message to our men and women in the military
    defending American freedom worldwide.

    Since 1967, when Sgt. Billy Thompson wrote Abigail Van Buren and
    mentioned that a wonderful Christmas present to our armed forces would
    be "just a letter from home," American citizens have been sending
    holiday wishes to servicemen and women stationed overseas every
    holiday season. Dubbed "Operation Dear Abby," the program has brought
    holiday joy to hundreds of thousands of U.S. military personnel
    deployed away from home.

    Concerns about mail delivery have prompted the military to suspend
    this year's letter-writing campaign. However, the United States
    Department of the Navy's LifeLines2000 Services Network in association
    with SPAWAR SCC-NCR is providing this private and secure online
    resource that will allow you to send a Sailor, Marine, Soldier, Airman
    or Coast Guardsman a holiday greeting.

    Thank you, & God Bless America!

    William Knowles
    wkat_private

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org