[ISN] Microsoft: Secure out of the Box?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 22:42:40 PST

    http://www.theneteconomy.com/article/0,3658,s%253D908%2526a%253D20127,00.asp

    December 14, 2001
    By: Paul Coe Clark III

    Howard Schmidt is chief security officer at Microsoft. He recently
    testified before the House Subcommittee on Commerce Trade and Consumer
    Protection about the state of Internet and computer security. We
    tracked him down later to ask him about, among other things,
    cyberterrorism and the Microsoft's level of responsibility for the
    success of large virus attacks.

    Schmidt served in the US. Air Force, the F.B.I, and local law
    enforcement. After Sept. 11, he was called back to active duty with
    the Joint Task Force for Computer Network Operations, the Department
    of Justice and the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center.

    Q: In your testimony the other day, you listed a series of industries
    at risk for cyberterrorism or electronic intrusion. One of those you
    listed was telecom. What weaknesses are there in the telecom industry
    that haven't been addressed.

    A: I think it all revolves around the people and the process. I don't
    know that there's a specific weakness. I think, generally, that the
    concern we have as the industry partnerships, are, are we all
    prepared, as the owners and operators of the critical infrastructure,
    to be able to respond to three major areas of concern for the value of
    the country. There's the national-security piece, which we saw,
    responded in 9/11. There's the law enforcement/public-safety piece,
    which has some relation to 9/11, but also we've seen in other venues,
    even simple things like when an ice storm knocks down the ability to
    communicate. The third thing is the economic viability of the nation.
    And that's our ability, because so much has been built, from an
    economic standpoint, around the technology piece.

    I'll cite a telecom component during 9/11. I was in D.C. You're based
    in D.C., aren't you?

    Q: Yes, I am, right off K Street, three blocks from the White House.

    A: So you know what it was like. I don't know if you tried to use a
    mobile phone, or you saw people lining up at the payphones, only to be
    able to get no signal. Those are the sort of things that we probably
    need to have more redundancy issues and have some resiliency on...

    Q: Capacity issues...