RE: [ISN] Lights' malfunction at airport attributed to computer glitch

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 05:17:50 PDT

    Forwarded from: Chris Wysopal <cwysopalat_private>

    Runway lights are frequently controlled by data lines connected to a
    loop carrier system.  They have been disabled by unauthorized use of
    the phone system in the past. In March 1997 a teenager hacking a phone
    switch that was used by Worcester Airport unwittingly cut off the
    airport from the phone system.  This outage cut off the tower from the
    main radio transmitter and disabled the controls to the runway lights.

    More info here:
    http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/juvenilepld.htm

    -Chris

    > Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>
    >
    > http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/2002/07/08/news/local/3589570.htm
    >
    > [You have to wonder why airport officials were initially
    > concerned that a hacker had turned off the runway lights,
    > unless one can remotely control them via a dial-up or the
    > Internet?  -  WK]
    >

    > Wed, Jul. 03, 2002
    >
    > Federal investigators have determined that a computer malfunction
    > stopped runway lights at Miami International Airport from being
    > turned on for about half an hour Saturday evening, an FBI
    > spokeswoman said Tuesday.
    >
    > Airport officials were initially concerned that a hacker caused the
    > disruption.
    >
    > ''We looked into it and determined it was not a hacker,'' FBI
    > spokeswoman Judy Orihuela said.

    [...]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.