[ISN] Web rebels profit from net controls

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 05:16:18 PDT

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2115000/2115887.stm

    By Alfred Hermida
    BBC News Online technology staff

    A crumbling concrete anti-aircraft tower off the east coast of England
    is home to a dot.com venture with a difference.

    The military platform, dubbed Sealand, is the base of internet hosting
    company HavenCo which is bucking the downturn of the dot.com economy.

    The company has been exploiting Sealand's self-proclaimed sovereignty
    to offer an offshore data haven, free of government interference.

    "We believe that people have a right to communicate freely," said Ryan
    Lackey, co-founder of HavenCo. "If they want to operate certain kinds
    of business that don't hurt anybody else, they should be able to do
    so."

    The venture comes at a time when governments across the world are
    tightening controls on the internet.

    New laws both in the US and Europe are giving officials greater powers
    to snoop on online activities.

    Self-styled nation

    Mr Lackey came up with the idea for HavenCo two years ago and started
    looking for somewhere to create an electronic refuge.

    "We looked all around the world for somewhere that would have secure
    internet hosting, outside of government regulation and we could not
    really find any," Mr Lackey told the BBC programme Go Digital.

    In the end, he settled on the self-styled sovereign principality of
    Sealand.

    Britain built the anti-aircraft platform during the Second World War.

    It remained derelict until the 1960s when a retired Army major, Paddy
    Roy Bates, took over the 10,000 square foot platform and declared it
    the independent nation of Sealand.

    At the time, the platform was beyond the then three-mile limit of
    British territorial waters. All this changed in 1987, when the UK
    extended its territorial waters from three to 12 miles.

    Little regulation

    Britain does not recognise the sovereignty of Sealand but this has not
    deterred HavenCo.

    It has installed internet servers on the platform, linked to the
    outside world via satellite links.

    There are few controls on the kind of websites that HavenCo is
    prepared to host.

    "We have a strict policy of three things we prohibit here," explained
    Mr Lackey. "We prohibit child pornography, spamming and hacking from
    our machines to other machines."

    So far many of the sites are online gambling ventures. But a growing
    number of political groups banned in their own countries have turned
    to HavenCo, such as the website of the Tibetan Government in exile.

    "We also permit any sort of free debate about issues whereas a country
    or company might try to censor this or sue you," said Mr Lackey.

    Providing a service to companies or groups who want to keep their data
    secret or publish it on the web without censorship is proving a
    worthwhile enterprise.

    "We've been profitable since the summer of 2001 so from a commercial
    standpoint we can continue forever," said Mr Lackey.

    "Regulations in other countries simply increase demand."

    However, how long HavenCo will escape the attention of the authorities
    is uncertain, with officials insisting that any site hosted on Sealand
    will have to comply with British internet regulations.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.