Re: [IWAR] Re:

From: Ann Rosenthal (Rosenthal_Annat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 10:05:09 PST

    Seamus wrote:<snip>

    In a highly informative post

    > There are no
    > *classified* areas of the FBIS collection effort.<snip>

    > For students it is a fund of raw data to be studied under the Freedom of
    > Information Act. You will be expected to pay fees.

    <snip>

    And in the interest of accuracy, I must add:

    First, as to classification,  the Library of Congress reports that there
    is a "classified" portion to FBIS.  On a personal note, I received daily
    classified--not just restricted to government use--FBIS-collected data
    over a several month period in 1988.

    Second, no fees are charged for accessing FBIS files stored in libraries
    which are government documents repositories.  I used FBIS unclassified
    daily LATAM reports for my dissertation data.  I still use this data
    base on a regular basis.

    Ann Rosenthal