[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 13:58:22 PDT

    Here are some more URL's relating to the attacks this morning.

      a backup site that generally works when cnn.com does not
      http://robots.cnn.com/

      video of the second plane in New York
      high bandwidth:
         http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/091101plane1-large.html
      low bandwidth:
         http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/091101plane1-small.html

      people's stories
      http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAVZWE2IRC.html

      Hotline from the National Journal can be accessed today for free
      http://hotlinescoop.com/web/content/hotline.htm
      http://nationaljournal.com/pubs/hotline/extra/lastcall/

      this site will register people who are safe
      http://do.millennium.berkeley.edu/

      you can query this site to search for people
      http://do.millennium.berkeley.edu/find.php

      military analysis
      http://www.janes.com/

      photos from Brooklyn of the buildings collapsing
      http://www.indigo23.com/

      an architect discussing how the buildings collapsed
      http://home.actlab.utexas.edu/pipermail/discuss/2001-September/000226.html

      Engineers Shocked By Towers Collapse
      http://chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-010911kamin-towers.story

    I've also been asked to encourage everyone to give blood.  The Red
    Cross Web site and 800 number are down, but you can try local numbers.

    I am not sending out much material because I'm unhappy at the amount
    of speculation in the media, even though much of it is labeled as
    such, and I don't want to add to it.  I'm also unhappy with the loose
    uses of the word "war" that I'm hearing in the media, especially when
    used to urge suspension of civil liberties.  We'll have to talk about
    the civil liberties consequences as we go along.  But the important
    thing now is to be rational.

    I'd prepared a package of URL's on other topics that I was going to
    send out this morning, but it doesn't seem decent.  So I've put them
    up on the Web pages that are accessible through the RRE home page for
    anyone who wants to look at them.

      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Do send me anything else you find that's useful.

    Phil