[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 21:36:28 PDT

    Here are some more URL's relating to the terror attacks and war fever.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    If you notice that certain topics or viewpoints are missing from these
    lists of URL's, don't assume that I have excluded them -- assume that
    nobody is sending them to me.  It's enough work putting these lists
    together that I have little time to assure balance by searching the
    Web on my own.

    Can I please ask people to send URL's relating to the countries where
    US military intervention is most likely?  A good place to start would
    be countries facing violent Islamist opposition movements, such as
    Egypt, Uzbekistan, and Algeria.  Relevant items might include reports
    from human rights organizations, English-language media from the
    countries including the government and opposition movements, think
    tank reports, current press articles, and directories of online
    resources.  The Bush people are talking about taking the war to no
    fewer than sixty countries, and if that happens we'll all be getting
    quite a geography lesson.  Might as well get ready.  Because I'm
    asking for a lot of information here, I would greatly appreciate if
    you could quality-control whatever you send.  In other words, just
    send the high-quality materials.  Thanks very much.

    I'm impressed by how few duplicates I am getting.  Dozens of people
    are sending me stuff, but I would guess that 10% of it duplicates
    something I've already got.  I'm not sure what that means, except
    perhaps that the ocean of stuff that we're dipping into is vastly
    larger than the stuff I ever see.  But that seems hard to believe.

    Afghanistan

    Troops Mass on Afghan Border
    (Sydney Morning Herald has had the world's best coverage, that I've seen)
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/18/world/world1.html

    Situation at Pak, Afghan Border Tense: Taliban Move Heavy Artillery to Torkham
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=4&date1=9/17/2001

    Iranian Team Arrives in Panjshir to Review Situation with Northern Alliance
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=5&date1=9/17/2001

    Did Bin Laden Kill Afghan Rebel?
    http://www.iht.com/articles/32722.htm

    13,000 Army Protects Osama
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=13&date1=9/17/2001

    Afghanistan: A Nightmare Battlefield
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41121-2001Sep16.html

    Press Conference With Taliban Spokesman Wakil Ahmed Mutawakel
    http://kavkaz.org/english/news/2001/09/17/news3.htm

    The World Isolates the Taliban
    http://www.en.monde-diplomatique.fr/2001/06/04taliban

    The Murky Deals That Fuelled International Terrorism
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,551971,00.html

    Afghanistan: The Massacre in Mazar-I Sharif (November 1998)
    http://www.hrw.org/reports98/afghan/

    World's Indifference to the Afghan Tragedy (June 2001)
    http://www.iranian.com/Opinion/2001/June/Afghan/

    Fielding's Most Dangerous Places (e.g., Afghanistan)
    http://www.comebackalive.com/df/dplaces.htm

    brief outline of Afghan history
    (despite what you may have heard, Afghanistan *has* been conquered)
    http://ebooks.whsmithonline.co.uk/encyclopedia/01/c0000001.htm

    Azadi Afghan Radio
    http://www.afghanradio.com/

    Afghanistan Maps
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/afghanistan.html

    Afghanistan News and Media
    http://dmoz.org/Regional/Asia/Afghanistan/News_and_Media/

    civil liberties

    Anti-Terror Push Stirs Fears for Liberties
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46828-2001Sep17.html

    Ashcroft Wants Quick Action on Broader Wiretapping Plan
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/national/18CONG.html

    Technology Will Play Bigger Role in Security
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/national/18RULE.html

    Preserve Your Rights Online - Act Now
    http://slashdot.org/yro/01/09/16/1647231.shtml

    Investigators Explore Boundaries of Everything the Law Allows
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/17/national/17CIVI.html

    New Powers Sought for Surveillance
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41055-2001Sep16.html

    Lawmakers Hear Ashcroft Outline Antiterror Plans
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/17/national/17CONG.html

    Terrorist Threat Shifts Priorities in Online Rights Debate
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-7149229-0.html

    investigation

    Alleged Hijackers May Have Trained at US Bases
    (by all means let's get rid of those terrorist training bases)
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/629529.asp

    Four People Flown to New York for Questioning in Connection With Attacks
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/17/national/17PLOT.html?pagewanted=all

    Diary of the Terrorists
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/18/world/world14.html

    Hijackers May Have Accessed Computers at Public Libraries
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41034-2001Sep16.html

    Dozens of Arabs, Muslims Buried under New York Rubble
    http://www.middleeastwire.com/newswire/stories/20010914_4_meno.shtml

    scams, hoaxes, conspiracy theories, etc about the attack
    http://www.dangerousideas.net/infowatch.asp

    Where Once the Towers Stood
    (very impressive satellite image)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1548000/1548493.stm

    animated "virtual flyover" of the World Trade Center site
    (may crash Netscape)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/nation/worldtradeanimation.htm

    war

    "Bush aims to uproot perceived terrorist networks spanning 60 countries"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1547000/1547561.stm

    Special Forces Poised for Action
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,553040,00.html

    "the essence of this first war of the century is it's not against a nation"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41015-2001Sep16.html

    Rumsfeld: War on Terrorism to Require Unconventional Methods
    http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2001/09/16/rumsdfeld/

    US Calculates a War With Little Room for Error
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0918/p1s2-wogi.html

    On the Streets, A Jittery Nation Is in War Mode
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/national/18REAC.html

    about the "national emergency" that Bush has declared
    http://monkeyfist.com/articles/781

    Police Guard Lone Dissenter in Congress on Use of Force
    (may not work on Internet Explorer)
    http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=politicsnews&StoryID=226333

    Europe Cautious Over US Response
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1548000/1548441.stm

    Official Declaration of the EU (pdf)
    http://ue.eu.int/Newsroom/LoadDoc.cfm?MAX=1&DOC=!!!&BID=102&DID=67761&GRP=3753&LANG=1

    America's New War Against Terrorism
    http://www.forumsondemand.com/brookings/terrorism/20010914/amterrorism.ram
    http://www.brookings.edu/comm/events/20010914.htm

    SAS Geared Up for Attack on Bin Laden
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-2001322341,00.html

    British parliament debate on the attacks
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmhansrd/cm010914/debindx/10914-x.htm

    Arab Envoys Contemplate Broad Realignment
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47131-2001Sep17.html

    Tajikistan Won't Allow US to Launch Attacks From Its Territory
    http://www.nandotimes.com/world/story/80232p-1118811c.html

    War Against Terror Tests Fragile Saudi Relations With US
    http://nytimes.com/2001/09/15/international/middleeast/15SAUD.html?pagewanted=print

    Prince Abdullah May Arrive in Pakistan Shortly
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/PrintPage.asp?id=3&date1=9/17/2001&news2=outer1

    Army Backs Musharraf's Promise to World Comity
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=1&date1=9/15/2001

    "Get Us Bin Laden" Order from Bush Could Spark Pakistani Army Mutiny
    http://www.counterpunch.org/tariqpakistani.html

    Uzbeks Eager to Join US Alliance
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41263-2001Sep16.html

    comment

    It's Really War Against the Islamic Axis
    (calls for US invasions of several countries)
    http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-09-17/News_and_Views/Beyond_the_City/a-125519.asp

    Is Rational Discourse Another Casualty of Tuesday's Attacks?
    http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20010917.html

    Editorial on Jerry Falwell's Comments
    http://www.post-gazette.com/forum/20010917edfal17p3.asp

    Rev. Falwell Apologizes for Remarks
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010917/us/attacks_falwell_apology_1.html

    Ban the Word "Crusade"
    http://63.208.24.134/terrorism/roy9.htm

    Toward the Brink
    http://consortiumnews.com/2001/091701a.html

    Americans Don't Understand That Their Heritage Is Itself a Threat
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/magazine/23TERROR.2.html

    an excellent example of selectively labeling one's opponents as terrorists
    http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/news/article.html?in_article_id=72654&in_page_id=1264

    One Step Nearer a Middle East Bloodbath
    http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?ac=005997313807439&rtmo=QexLmQwR&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/01/9/12/do02.html

    Al-Azhar's Grand Imam (in Cairo) Condemns Killing of Civilians
    http://www.islam-online.net/english/news/2001-09/15/article2.shtml

    "the US must convince the Islamic world that bin Laden is a dangerous fugitive"
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/13/justice/

    fairly interesting if rambling leftist commentary
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22bush+dyslexicon%22&start=40&hl=en&rnum=43&selm=f5dd2807.0109161606.73b23f9e%40posting.google.com

    extensive survey of US conservative opinion on the attacks
    http://instapundit.blogspot.com/

    As US Priorities Change, So Does Its Leader
    http://www.nepalnews.com.np/contents/englishdaily/ktmpost/2001/sep/sep17/index.htm#4

    Don't Rebuild the Twin Towers
    http://www.counterpunch.org/dontrebuild.html

    The Perils of Solidarity
    http://www.heise.de/tp/english/inhalt/te/9571/1.html

    Globalvision News Network: Global Views
    http://208.251.133.165/html/USUnderAttack/index.html

    Arab Media Send Out Dual Message on US
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41009-2001Sep16.html

    "no peace until we convince Israel to make peace with the Palestinians"
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/17/israel/print.html

    terrorism discourse

    Chemical and Biological Terrorism
    http://www.stimson.org/cwc/terror.htm

    Responding to Terrorism: What Military Options Does the President Have?
    http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/options.html

    The CDISS Database: Terrorist Incidents 1945 to 1998
    http://www.cdiss.org/terror.htm

    US Policy on Counterterrorism (June 1995)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd39.htm

    Combating Terrorism: Presidential Decision Directive 62 (May 1998)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd-62.htm
    http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/paper598.htm

    Combating Terrorism: Options to Improve the Federal Response (April 2001)
    http://www.house.gov/transportation/pbed/04-24-01/04-24-01memo.html

    Bioterrorism: An Even More Devastating Threat
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41225-2001Sep16.html

    Source: Clinton Approved Action Against Bin Laden in 1998
    http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2001/09/16/clinton_laden/

    background

    Introduction to Islam
    http://www.mideasti.org/library/islam/introislam.htm

    Osama Bin Laden's Neighborhood
    (audio of an expert briefing on the countries in the region)
    http://www.ceip.org/files/events/events.asp?EventID=381

    protocols for commercial airliners in a military emergency
    http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/MIL/Apdices/milapd17.html

    "Talk of the Nation" radio program entitled "An American Empire?"
    (broadcast just before the attack)
    http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/cmnpd01fm.cfm?PrgDate=09/10/2001&PrgID=5

    massive collection of intelligence links
    http://www.loyola.edu/dept/politics/intel.html

    Presidential Directives 1993-2000
    http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd/

    Status of Federal Critical Infrastructure Protection Activities (January 2001)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd/CIP_2001_CongRept.pdf

    news and the like

    Palestinian Media Watch
    http://www.pmw.org.il/

    extensive discussion of the press coverage
    http://www.poynter.org/

    news sources related to the Middle East
    http://www.newsisfree.com/sources/bycat/78/

    check out the bestsellers list at Amazon right now
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/lists/best/amazon-bestsellers.html/002-8247372-8244044

    Austin-Based Stratfor Attempts to Make Smart Money on Global Intelligence
    http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-09-14/pols_feature.html

    response

    "what happens if a suicide bomber dives into one of our 103 nuclear power plants?"
    (good question)
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=special&s=bivens_wtc_20010916

    Hey, Wait a Minute: Why Punish the Skycaps?
    (what's really needed is martial arts training for flight attendants)
    http://slate.msn.com/code/ThisJustIn/ThisJustIn.asp?Show=9/17/2001&idMessage=8313

    Engineers Tackle Havoc Beneath Trade Center
    (serious problems under ground)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/science/18UNDE.html

    business recovery resources
    http://www.globalcontinuity.com/

    children's stories relating to terror, in many languages
    http://www.peaceculture.net/

    Publications on Helping Children Cope with Terrorism
    http://www.specialednews.com/educators/ednews/terroristlinks091301.html#pubs

    Anti-Islamic Violence Breaks Out Around World
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,551257,00.html

    USF Robotics Team Arrives At Ground Zero
    http://tampatrib.com/News/MGAEBFXHLRC.html

    FEMA Wireless Emergency Response Team
    http://www.fema.gov/nwz01/nwz01_108.htm

    Monitors Say Health Risk From Smoke Is Very Small
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/nyregion/14ENVI.html

    NYC Emergency Information
    http://www.nyc.gov/

    District Unprepared to Cope with Attack