in.telnetd bug (linux)

From: kgb (kgbat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 25 1997 - 08:00:32 PST

    This is my first bugtraq post, If Linux in.telnetd is _supposed_ to do
    this or everyone already knows it does so, I hope Aleph1 doen't let it
    though the list. :-)

    This look's harmless, however it does not look like it should be
    'acceptable' Heres the info on the bug:

    If you your 'TERM' variable to anythig that the telnet server your
    telnetting to does _not_ have in the terminfo database, in.telnetd
    coredumps. (leaving a core in /) This core file is dropped with safe
    permissions so only root could read it, and there is nothing that I can
    see 'dangerous' left in it for anyone to read.

    This does not appear to affect in.telnetd from some distributions.
    The distribution I did find affected is slackware 3.4.

    This does not appear to affect RedHat 4.2, any others I don't have time to
    try right now.

    -MultiSynk
    kgbat_private