Re: man problem

From: d (zenat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 15:34:46 PST

    > I just noticed a problem with the man system (version 2.3.10) on my Linux
    > box: /usr/man contains the .gz'd man pages:
    [...]
    > When I execute man, a temporary file containing the un-zipped manpage is
    > created in /tmp. The name of the tmp-file usually is "zman<PID>aaa",
    > e.g. "zman10849aaa". This can be exploited with a simple symlink attack:

    Pretty much the same with unformatted 'roff pages on unix (at least with
    my suns around here; I assume others mostly do the same), with variously
    different filenames; sunos uses /tmp/man{pid}, solaris /tmp/mpa+cruft, etc.
    Another reason to use catman, I guess.

    What a neat little trick.  I never thought man would be a security hole.

    -- d